"...the more we learn the more we see that other animals are smarter and more creative than we give them credit for, or perhaps ever imagined. Best to keep an open mind about the cognitive skills of the animals with whom we share our homes and the rest of the planet for "surprises" are continually forthcoming. " Marc Bekoff

SERVICES AND INFO

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Freedom to be

One of my clients mentioned what they said when asked what the difference is using positive reinforcement rather than using other methods, which use "corrections" and or mix in positive reinforcement. Same topic came up at dinner with a couple trainer friends, and then again in my Advanced classes this weekend.

Tonight after reviewing a video clip of a behaviour I captured during a shaping session that my 10yr old beagle, Daizy, came up with...it came to me...

The biggest difference first and foremost is FREEDOM.

FREEDOM to think; to be creative, encouraged to interact and to feel free to express their opinions.  Having an opinion provides you with a starting point. And that's especially important when you're dealing with "aggressive" reactions.

A simple, flirty tickle of Keegan's ear, made me think of this. 



I love thinking dogs. They're conversational, interactive and I love that they enjoy working together with their humans to build a system of communication.

All we humans need to do is be ready to reinforce what you like and learn how to shape behaviours you find polite, fun or cute.

It's simple, efficient and a ton of fun to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment