"...the more we learn the more we see that other animals are smarter and more creative than we give them credit for, or perhaps ever imagined. Best to keep an open mind about the cognitive skills of the animals with whom we share our homes and the rest of the planet for "surprises" are continually forthcoming. " Marc Bekoff

SERVICES AND INFO

Monday, February 6, 2012

Agility Fun Match Jan 15th!

I'm behind in posting! What an exciting kick off to 2012!

Q-ball Agility
held a Fun Match in Aldergrove. Our misfit presence was noticed :)

I went with Angela, Aaron and Freddie (littlest Boston with the biggest heart I know). I brought Daizy my 10yr old girl, who is a spit fire even at 10!

My competitive agility class is actually my misfit class!  The sport of agility is one of my favourite sports for teaching dogs how to work with you, while doing what they love to do naturally!

What a thrill to be racing around, jumping, chasing after you, playing, working together, reading your body language, keeping an ear out for what comes next. Combine that with the excitement of having a purpose, a job, is healthy for both parties!

I can't tell you how important I believe jobs are for dogs! Especially dogs with challenges.

What I was proud of most that day was how fantastic Angela and Freddie did!  They've only be at this for 7months, approx 3times a month...not long at all.  I love the clear direction Angela gave, the patience and happy enthusiastic way they both worked together .  Busting around the course, over jumps, through tunnels, working together to over come Freddie's hesitation about the chute (which he had only ever done once before) and the fact that Freddie was interested in visiting and sniffing the judge (Freddie has a tough time with strangers) was heart warming!




If anyone's interested in a brief overview of agility, here's a link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_agility

No comments:

Post a Comment