"...the more we learn the more we see that other animals are smarter and more creative than we give them credit for, or perhaps ever imagined. Best to keep an open mind about the cognitive skills of the animals with whom we share our homes and the rest of the planet for "surprises" are continually forthcoming. " Marc Bekoff

SERVICES AND INFO

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Retractable leashes...not so bad afterall

I've been hog-tied, clothes-lined, tripped, dragged, rope burned and scared to death by retractable leashes YET, I have found them to be very useful and enjoyable in some situations!




Caveats:

* I clip the leash up to a back harness.  I like "walkeez" harnesses, they're padded and we use them for scent work as well.   I don't like the idea of leash pressure when a leash is attached to any neck, front clip or head collars.  PLUS it's less likely for the line to get snagged on things if it's clipped on to their backs.

*After a frightening experience, I practiced letting go of the handle and having it drop to the ground = my dogs stop and recall back to me.  I had to desensitize all of us from the experience.  It's a terrifying feeling when the handle has broken loose out of my hand.  Watching it bouncing in the air, zipping up the line, the sound of catching up behind my dogs  and me unable to stop it from  hitting them in the butt...it's a not so funny scenario when your dog takes off trying to escape the crazy leash.  It is plain dangerous and has scared the bijibbies out of us.

I gradually paired the scary event with a recall back to me for a load of treats, or we've played ball, frisbee or one of favourite games.  Now I don't have to worry about them racing away trying to escape the "posessed" retractable leash.

*I've taught my dogs to walk politely beside me whether on leash, off leash, or on the back clip harness, despite all the distractions going on around us.  I can also direct my dogs to any side via verbal cue or hand signal.  Left side, right side, in front, behind, around...comes in handy let me tell you!

* My dogs have a super duper recall, in the face of a variety of distractions on and off leash.  Other dogs, people, garbage, wildlife, dead and decaying stuff.  Is it 100%...nope!  BUT I'd say they're pretty darn close.  Being aware of what may be lurking in the tall grass or on trails is key to keeping my dogs safe.

Reading their body language when they're more interested in flipping me the paw than enthusiastically recalling back to me is key to how much leash they get that day ;)  Knowing when to have them walk close by verses having full run and extending the leash is important for everyone's safety and enjoyment of their walks. 

 * I only use the retractable leash in low traffic areas.  Mainly on trails, walking from a residential area to a trail or to an open space.  I wouldn't use a retractable leash in the city on a side walk. Nor would it be a smart idea to let the leash out at that time.  I've seen WAY too many near death, off the side of the curb, or pushy retractable leash dogs ignoring another dog's request that they're not interested in the dog busting into their personal space before their owner even clues in that it's going to get ugly....it's a city by-law that your dog needs to be under YOUR control and does NOT harass others at their leisure.


I like this article by Suzanne Clothier about being an avocate for your dog and being respectful of others, not all dog want to be charge by other dogs: http://www.suzanneclothier.com/the-articles/he-just-wants-say-hi

For meet and greets, I like to call my dogs to my side first.  I'll stop about 20ft away seeing as though most retractable leashes give you 16ft of length.  Then ask and wait for the okay.   There's no point in asking if your dog is already in another dog's face.  That's plain rude.

Some people like to admire dogs from a distance, some dogs prefer hanging out with other dogs from a distance instead of getting up close and personal.  Some dogs prefer a parallel walk with distance apart.  Know your dog's greeting style preference and be an advocate for him.  It's only kind and respectful to do so.

I like this article from The Bark.  It's not fair to assume everyone wants your dog in their face:  http://thebark.com/content/coming-your-town-soon-rising-animosity-dogs-and-their-people
 
*If you have met another person with as happy go lucky dog who LOVES to zip in up close too...I like to use the 6 o'clock, 12 o'clock leash dance technique to keep me from feeling like I'm playing a game of "Twister".

Taking a moment to talk through the steps to the leash dance will help the humans keep the leashes from tangling, so that the happy go lucky dogs that MUTUALLY want to say hello... can do so and won't feel trapped.

Taking the time to ensure your dog understands how to politely, and safely walk with you on a retractable leash, means that you'll enjoy years together out and about, instead of their lives being cut short running into traffic and being killed.  That or being a nuisance to other dogs or tripping up someones' training.

Be kind and respectful of everyone's right to enjoy a relaxing walk out and about with their furry pals without it being crashed by your out of control dog.


Cheers,

*k



 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment